Sunday, July 21, 2013

Deployment Running Streak and a lack of decent beer.


Well, today marks one month since I arrived to my deployed location in Djibouti, Africa.  When people use the term "Africa hot" they are referring to this place.  Daily high temperatures are constantly over 105° with a heat index of around 120°, the low only gets around 90° with a heat index of 100°.  I never realized the effect the dew point has on running until I got here, it's almost always over 75°.  I only got out to run twice in the first 2 weeks since I was adjusting my sleep schedule and stuck in a tent waiting on my permanent living quarters.  Once the calendar hit July, I made the decision to run every single day until I leave this place, or until marathon training starts.  I am currently at 20 days in a row and up to 87 miles for the month.  At this rate, I will easily run more miles in this month than any other month, ever.  Some days are easier than others, if the wind is blowing from the desert it's tolerable.  The days it's coming off the water, breathing takes some serious effort.  The other bad part is the scenery, as in there is none.  We have a short running trail on camp, about 2 miles long.  It's the only place headphones are authorized and it runs directly beside the trash incinerator.  On those days the wind is coming off the water it is also blowing the trash smoke directly on to the trail.  Needless to say, on long run days I just have to suck it up and run around other parts of the camp sans music.  Below are a few pics of the camp and the trail.  Oh, the beer selection here is pretty sad.  I haven't had many since I got here, between that and the constant running, I've dropped 20 pounds!








Location: Djibouti

0 comments:

Post a Comment