Tuesday, April 16, 2013

OBX Flying Pirate 1/2 Marathon Recap

Well, had a pretty crappy day before the race, but I'm not going in to that. I made it to packet pick up around 4:30 on Saturday, the expo was small but nice. Race bag including a sweet t-shirt, reusable plastic cup, a pint glass, and bib with built in timing chip. After that I checked in to the hotel and went to get a bite to eat and relaxed the rest of the night. Got up around 4 Sunday to get ready and headed to the finish area to take the shuttle to the start, temps were ideal for race day, 58 with a light breeze and the humidity wasn't too bad. The gun sounded at 7 and we were on our way. I took the first 2 miles at a decent pace and then picked it up. I hit the halfway point at 59 minutes and was feeling great and thought I was finally going to finish in under 2 hours. Unfortunately, at mile 10 I hit a wall right as the course went from road to dirt. There were a few hills, but nothing like what we have in Texas. I hit the last big downhill approach to the finish line and was done in 2:04, still close to a PR. The course scenery was ok, best part was going around the Wright Brothers Memorial. Course support was just right and the finish area and post race area was very well done. At the price I would definitely do this one again, but next time I'll do the 5k on Saturday for the extra bling.





 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Location: Nags Head, NC, USA

0 comments:

Post a Comment