Monday, September 12, 2016

Santa Monica Classic Race Recap


Oh hi there!  I'm finally back to recapping all of the amazing races that I participate in.

 Let's start with the Santa Monica Classic!


This was my first time running this race, as it’s part of the inaugural ConqurLA Challenge. I registered for all 3 races at once through imAthlete.com, quick and painless. Pre-race information was communicated consistently via e-mail and Facebook. There was an option to pick up your bib the day before, but I opted against driving an hour for that. There was a one-hour window before the race(s) to pick it up and the lines were very short. I decided to park downtown near the pier where the finish line was, it was about a mile walk to the start which made for a good warm-up.  After getting my bib, I met up with my other Conqur Endurance Ambassadors to hang out and snap a few pictures.  Weather conditions were ideal for racing today, mid-60's, light breeze, and plenty of clouds.  The humidity was high, but it's near the beach.
10 of the 12 Conqur Endurance Ambassadors



Before I go over the race details, I want to give major respect to the young lady that sang our national anthem.  She knocked it out of the park without using the PA system, it was a great way to honor our country on 9/11.  The 5K started first, led by the track teams from Santa Monica and Malibu High Schools. They were competing in a first-year challenge. Shortly after, the full 5K field was off and running. 20 minutes or so after the 5K began, the 10K started. I had to do a lot of weaving in and out because I wanted until the last minute to go #1 and didn’t get closer to the front in time, totally my fault. The start line was near Ocean View Park and the first mile was mostly flat and went along Main St. Just before mile 2, the course made a turn facing the pier followed by a right onto Ocean Ave. This is where the gentle uphill climb began as well as passing by the finish line chute. Over the next 2+ miles, the course gained about 200 feet of elevation. Mile 3 was mostly on San Vicente Blvd with the turnaround coming at mile 4. At that point, I was rewarded for keeping a good pace on the uphill climb with a 200-foot elevation loss in the exact opposite direction. The final stretch of the race is also identical for the LA Marathon, so it’s good practice for mentally preparing yourself for that.  







Upon crossing across the finish, there were volunteers handing out water and finishers medals (see picture). I met back up with the ambassador crew who were hanging out by the finish.  Runners were then directed to the Santa Monica Pier where the expo was being held. Once there, I got my finishers shirt and a few other goodies. Results were available live online with free tracking that included social media posting. There was also a results tent set up with plenty of laptops. All in all, this was an amazing race from Conqur Endurance Group and a great way to start the Conqur LA Challenge. My only suggestion is to consider starting the 10K first; there seemed to be a lot of walkers with strollers on the course.









Location: Santa Monica, CA, USA

0 comments:

Post a Comment